Cape WeligamaSri Lanka
Speak to a specialist
Discuss your requirements with a villa expert
What we love
Where trade winds carried legendary explorers like Marco Polo, Ibn Battuta and Fa-Hsien past Sri Lanka's soaring southern cliffs on some of history's most celebrated nautical journeys, Cape Weligama is the most celebrated resort yet along this fabled island's palm fringed shores. Thirty minutes east of Galle, Cape Weligama inhabits 12 manicured acres atop a singular promontory rising 40 metres above the Indian Ocean. Stunning panoramas await you, naturally complementing the 39 private retreats designed by one of Asia's most celebrated architects, Lek Bunnag. An array of international dining venues captures Weligama's iconic sunsets, as does the 60-metre crescent-shaped infinity pool that appears to flow seamlessly into the shimmering sea, while those timeless breezes ensure elegant swells unfurl onto the sun kissed sand.
Share this villa
- Private Pool
- Cliff Top
- Restaurants & Shops
In-Depth Villa Details
Cape Weligama is a member of Relais & Chateaux. Established over half a century ago, Relais & Châteaux is a Paris based association of the world’s finest hoteliers, chefs and restaurateurs that has set the standard for excellence in hospitality.
Accommodation at Cape Weligama is in Residences and Master Rooms.
The Residences are set within eight stone ringed gardens. Each garden comprise two to three freestanding Residences plus a 15-metre swimming pool. Imagine the intimacy of a boutique villa offering the benefits of a larger, world-class resort.
The Cape Weligama Residence, our most breath-taking accommodation at 310 m2, offers stunning Indian Ocean views from both bedrooms across two levels and the 15-metre infinity pool on the upper level.
There are eight gardens at Cape Weligama:
• ERNST HAECKEL
• ROBERT KNOX
• MARCO POLO
• KING VIJAYA
• IBN BATTUTA
• JORIS VAN SPILBERGEN
• SAMUEL BAKER
containing four types of standalone Residences offering 23 Bedrooms:
• 6 x Residence - 130 sqm, king bed, verandah
• 8 x Premier Residence - 180 sqm, king bed, large verandah
• 3 x Grand Residence - 200 sqm, king bed, living room, large verandah
• 3 x Cape Weligama Residence - 310 sqm 2 bedroom duplex. Ground floor – king bed, living
room, bathroom, large verandah. Upper floor – king bed, living deck with bar, 15x4m pool with
panoramic ocean views.
The Master Rooms are situated around the Cove Pool. They are especially well suited to families or friends traveling together, seeking the beach villa experience for which southern Sri Lanka has become synonymous, with the added amenities and activities of a five-star resort.
The Master Rooms are located in 4 two storey structures, each named after a writer/poet of old Ceylon.
There are two Master Rooms on each floor, which can be interconnected via the terrace.
ARTHUR C CLARKE
JAMES EMERSON TENNENT
8 x Master Room 130 - 130 sqm, 2 Queen beds, terrace
8 x Master Room 150 - 150 sqm, King bed, terrace
16 Master Rooms in total
The total number of bedrooms at Cape Weligama is 39
All accommodations enjoy private butler services, individual gardens, dining and spa facilities. Each is named for a distinguished explorer or writer whose historic Ceylon journey captures the spirit of Cape Weligama.
Driven by the availability of fresh local produce, the resort makes its own rules by proffering few menus and encouraging direct conversation with the chefs. Three main dining venues offer distinct experiences. Or dine on your terrace. Wake up to breakfast just footsteps from bed on your own sea-facing garden-fringed veranda or savour an intimate private poolside barbecue amongst family and friends, bathed by the silvery light of the moon.
• The De Mauny Dining Pavilion and its generous terraces enjoy stunning views of the bay and the setting sun. Pick from the days catch
at the “Pola” seafood market and have it cooked to your liking.
• Kumbuk is an alfresco Sri Lankan village style restaurant, which showcases the island’s deliciously unique cuisine
• On the cliff edge is Rouge, the steak house and grill, open from 7pm to 10.30pm
• The Taylor Living Pavilion serves a Ceylon Afternoon Cream Tea, snacks throughout the day and signature pre-dinner canapés and
• The Moon Bar, under the Moon Pool, serves casual fare throughout the day.
• All Residences and Master Rooms have dining tables on generous terraces where meals could be served by your butler.
• A breathtaking crescent-shaped infinity Moon Pool curving 60m around the cape’s summit drinks in every inch of the spectacular 270-degree coastal views. It’s equally resplendent at night when the pool’s inky surface reflects the stars and the bright luminescence of the moon.
• The generous Cove Pool, close to the Master Rooms, meanders around an integrated 20m-lap pool, and is ideal for the youngest family members to let off steam.
• The Moon Bar – secreted under the Moon Pool – erects a giant screen on occasion to host convivial movie nights with popcorn and international sports fixtures with special themed snacks and drinks.
• Also under the pool is a Cybex equipped air-conditioned gym for keeping in shape after overindulging on the resort’s mouth-watering cuisine.
• Electric buggies convey guests around the resort if they prefer not to walk.
• There are two adjacent public beaches. West Beach is accessed via a specially built staircase. East Beach is next to the Dive Centre, a 5-minute walk from the resort. A reef provides safe swimming conditions. With no large resorts nearby, the beaches are not busy.
• The Beach Club/Dive Centre is staffed by European professionals and is the embarkation point for all land and water-based activities. Offering first-rate PADI dive courses and exciting dives, other activities include private cruises, big game fishing, seasonal whale and dolphin-watching trips and banana boating.
For the ultimate Ceylonese indulgence, Cape Weligama’s experienced therapists come to your Residence or Room where dedicated spa facilities allow us to pamper you ‘at home’. Or visit our Spa Villa if you’d like to seek refuge from the family. Organic home grown Sri Lankan spice scrubs made from clove, nutmeg, sweet orange and sandalwood relieve stress and naturally attend to travel weary muscles while bespoke, essential oil massage blends incorporate Ceylon tea, renowned for its antioxidant, anti-ageing and calming properties. Unwind with a blissful massage on your veranda, or with a fragrant scrub followed by an invigorating herbal steam treatment in your shower room and finally a sleep inducing soak in your stone bathtub, with your bed just steps away.
ACTIVITIES & EXCURSIONS
Postcard perfect beaches, gently breaking waves and a kaleidoscopic underwater landscape sprinkled with historic wrecks, Sri Lanka’s southern coastline does not lack for magnetic charms. Swim and snorkel in the aquamarine bay beneath Cape Weligama. Explore neighbouring coves by kayak or learn to surf on Weligama’s legendary curls. The Dive Centre, staffed by an experienced international team of professionals, offers a comprehensive range of PADI dive courses and other off shore activities including private sunset cruises, big game fishing, seasonal whale and dolphin-watching trips and banana boating. Away from this idyllic coastline, explore Sri Lanka’s lush rural hinterland of sleepy villages, paddy fields, meandering lagoons and ancient temples by guided bicycle ride. Take a boat or kayak out on nearby Koggala Lake, its tranquil lagoon edged by fragrant cinnamon gardens and tropical wildlife. For adventures further afield, dedicated naturalists and cultural guides are on hand to whisk you off in private vehicles for personalised tours. Must see destinations include Mirissa’s vibrant boat harbour, Matara’s crumbling ruins and the historic Galle Fort where cobbled streets encased in coral and granite walls reveal ochre washed colonnaded houses, colonial churches, and renowned jewellery boutiques. Elephants, sloth bears, crocodiles, and even Sri Lanka’s famous leopards may be spotted on day trips to the national parks of Uda Walawe and Yala.
• 1 infant (up to 2 years) and 1 child (2 – 12 years) can be accommodated in a room sharing with
parents, one rollaway bed and a baby cot can be provided.
• If parents would like to accommodate children in a separate room, a combination of a Master
Room 150 and a Junior Room 130 are recommended. These rooms can be interconnected.
• In a Junior Room 130 up to 4 children can be accommodated on twin Queen beds.
• The Cove Pool is especially designed for families with children below the age of 12 years.
• The Moon Pool is reserved for guests aged 12 years and above.
DIFFERENTLY ABLED ACCESS
2 rooms offer facilities for wheelchair access.
PAYMENT Due to the limited number of rooms at Cape Weligama, we require a 30% payment when
booking and the balance one month in advance of arrival. During peak period, 30% non-refundable
deposit when booking, balance 60 days in advance of arrival. A booking of four rooms or more requires
a 50% non-refundable deposit when booking and balance 90 days in advance of arrival.
CANCELLATION Within 30 days of arrival 30% of full stay charge, within 21 days 40%, within 14 days
50%, within 7 days 100%. During peak period, within 45 days 50% of full stay charge, within 30 days of
arrival 100%, four or more rooms booking within 60 days full, stay cancellation charge.
CHECK-IN after 1400 hours
CHECK-OUT before 1200 hours
HOW TO GET TO CAPE WELIGAMA
Thanks to the scenic Southern Highway, Cape Weligama is only
about two hours away from Colombo. A scheduled seaplane service operates from Colombo and a
charter seaplane service connects Tea Trails and Cape Weligama.
Distances - Colombo Airport 190km 3 hours, Colombo 150km 2 hours, Galle 24km 30 minutes, Kandy
250km 4.5 hours, Tea Trails 200km 4 hours